AFDA alumnus, cinematographer, director, filmmaker and social media content creator Ofentse Mwase aka Uncle Scrooch keeps ticking all the right boxes to add to his already extensive showreel. He recently shot his first feature film (DOP), “Collision” which will premiere on Netflix on the 16 May 2022. The film directed by Fabien Martorell stars fellow AFDA alumnus Vuyo Dabula.
Ofentse grew up in Rustenburg in the North West Province, and now resides in Johannesburg, South Africa. Ofentse’s infatuation with film and cameras started in 2005 and led to his enrolment at AFDA to study film and cinematography, where he graduated with an Honours Degree in Cinematography in 2011.
He was voted AFDA Best Cinematographer of 2010 for this work on the Short film IGOLIDE, shot on 16mm Kodak film. Further accolades at AFDA include a nomination for Best Cinematography for his work on the short film “The Hajji” shot in in 2011.
Thato, a Sterkinekor commercial shot in 2011 on 35mm Kodak Film by Ofentse was nominated for the prestigious Loerie Award and went on to win a Silver Loerie in the Student Commercials category.
Along with fellow alumni, Motheo Moeng and Marius Van Graan, Ofentse won the Best Achievement in Cinematography for the TV Drama “Tjovitjo” at the SAFTA’s 2018. He won the Best Cinematography Award at the Discover Film Awards in London 2017 for his work on the multi-award winning short film, “The Hangman”, directed by fellow alumni Zwelethu Radebe. As a Music Video director Ofentse won the Music Video of the Year at the 2017 South African Music Awards (SAMA) for his video for Miss Pru titled Ameni’
Most recently, he won another SAMA for Prince Kaybee ft Msaki – Fetch Your Life. To date, Ofentse has won a total of 24 globally recognized awards for his DOP and Directing work.
Ofentse is social media content guru. His Youtube channels boast close to 1 million subscribers. He also picked up two nominations at the African Social Entertainment Awards 2021 for Best Video Director of the Year award and Most Creative award.
Ofentse and his wife Nelisiwe Mwase, also an AFDA alumni, created their own production company OM Films. The company was legally registered in 2014, but as a brand – has its founding days dating all the way back to 2009 when they were still at AFDA, through township/rural weddings in Tlhabane, Rustenburg. By 2011, the work began being branded and to date has become a growing film brand within the film and entertainment industry.
With over 10 years of experience in Film, Commercials and Music Videos, Ofentse is set to be one to look out for in the South African film industry as he continues to be involved in great projects for TV, commercials and film.
Check out his list of Awards
1.Best Film: ISAZELA (2009 Joburg Arts Festival)
2. Best Cinematographer: IGOLIDE (AFDA 2010 Awards)
3. Nominated for Best Cinematography: The Hajji (AFDA 2011 Awards)
4. Best Film: The Hajji (AFDA 2011 Awards)
5. Best Commercial: Thato (AFDA 2011 Awards)
6. Silver Loerie: Thato (Loerie Awards 2012)
7. Official Selection: The Hajji (Durban International Film Festival 2013)
8. Best Music Video: Lundi – Noma Sekutheni Na (Crown Gospel Awards 2014)
9. Best Music Video: Roll Up – Emtee (Metro FM Awards 2016)
10. Best Music Video: Miss Pru – Ameni (SAHHA 2016)
11. Music Video of the Year: Miss Pru – Ameni (SAMA 2017)
12. Best Short Film: Durban International Film Festival 2017 – The Hangman
13. Best Short Film: Zanzibar International Film Festival 2017 – The Hangman
14. Sembene Ousman Award of Excellence: Zanzibar International Film Festival 2017 – The Hangman
15. Best in Fest: Discover Film Awards London 2017 – The Hangman Short Film
16. Best International Drama: Discover Film Awards London 2017 – The Hangman Short Film
17. Best Critics Award: Kasi Film Festival 2017 – The Hangman Short Film
18. Jury Award: Shnit Worldwide Short Film Festival 2017
19. Best Cinematography: Discover Film Awards London 2017 – The Hangman Short Film
20. Best Direction: Silver Promax 2017 – DSTV Now Hospital Commercial
21. Best VOD: Gold Promax 2017 – DSTV Now Hospital Commercial
22. Cricket South Africa – Commercial of the Year 2017 (Fireball Music Video)
23. Best Cinematography in a Drama Series – Tjovitjo (SAFTA’s 2018)
24. Best Produced Music Video – Prince Kaybee ft. Msaki – Fetch Your Life (SAMA 2020)
25. ASEA Awards 2020: Best Video Director of the Year
26. Best Produced Music Video – Prince Kaybee ft. Sir Trill – Hosh (SAMA 2021)