AFDA was established in Johannesburg in 1994 and is currently situated on a 10 000 square metre campus within a stone’s throw of the national TV broadcaster, the SABC.
Also known as Egoli (‘place of gold’) or Jozi, it is South Africa’s go-to-go TV production kitchen, and enjoys sunny weather all year round.
Fondly known as Jo’burgers, the six million strong population of this vibrant melting pot includes all major Southern African
10 Good Reasons to Study at AFDA Johannesburg
- AFDA Johannesburg is a key part of the entertainment hub of Africa
- AFDA is a fully accredited institution with 20 years experience in the tertiary education landscape
- AFDA is an internationally recognized institution and is a full member of CILECT – an international organization that represents over 170 Film and TV schools and includes USC (LA) and UCLA (LA), TISCH (NY), Columbia (Chicago), La femis (Paris), GVIK (Russia) to mention but a few
- AFDA Alumni are award winning, skilled and networked. They continue to make a significant contribution to the growth of the local entertainment industry
- AFDA is an Academy award winning institution and the first and only African film school to win the best foreign student film academy award in 2006 and runner up as a finalist in 2013
- AFDA employs a number of South Africa’s top academics and practitioners
- AFDA has a unique learning system that provides students with authentic undergraduate & postgraduate learning environments that are relevant to vocational opportunities both locally and abroad
- AFDA students are trained to produce commercially viable entertainment products for local audiences and niche online global markets
- AFDA offers students a genuine opportunity to seek out their aptitude in order to discover their passion and by extension a successful vocational path
- The AFDA learning process encourages and rewards innovation, leadership and entrepreneurship